POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and 3DNow! instruction set : Re: POV and 3DNow! instruction set Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV and 3DNow! instruction set
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Sep 1998 17:19:01
Message: <35eef9b5.0@news.povray.org>
In article <35eede43.0@news.povray.org> , "Rik Ling" <rli### [at] pipcomcom> wrote:
>  Certainly
>your overall system performance will suffer but programs like POV, which
>have a very tight execution loop that has been (hopefully) optimized to stay
>within the 16 to 32KB of on-chip cache, won't care about that.

Basically ray tracers could be this way (if you only use planes and spheres), but
there is *no* way to get the ray tracer code POV-Ray has into such a small cache!  And
don't forget the data (our scene) - so ray tracing *is* one of the few programs where
you will (or should) notice a fast memory interface (and 2nd level cache).

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany